While we worry and prepare for sick multitudes, think about the upsides of the Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19). (Sorry, I refuse to let go of the traditional scientific practice of naming things based on discoverer or origin.)
It could trigger a 1950s-like explosion of industry, opportunity, and leisure.
- The United States has an opportunity to become a manufacturing center again, generating tremendous wealth and jobs. It’s time “Made in the USA” meant quality, innovation, and reliability.
- People learning, working, and worshiping remotely from home will:
- decrease the cost of work
- increase efficiency
- decrease use of fossil fuels in buildings and from traffic
- increase leisure time
- increase spending
- lower the cost of college
- increase family time
- Increased hygiene will
- save 12,000-61,000 lives a year from regular flu
- reduce overall sickness in school-age populations (mono, ear infections, flu, and the common cold)
- save the U.S. billions in healthcare and lost productivity due to illness or caregiving of sick family members ($40 billion from the common cold alone, according to a 2003 University of Michigan study)
- The social justice experiment will be exposed as the ridiculous, harmful scam it is. We want competence, not “equal representation,” People deserve to be judged by their character and actions, not their inconsequential, involuntary outsides. Shame on grown-ups who indulge in infantile name-calling and mob mentality.
- The Chinese Communist Party will finally fall to courageous and resilient people who’ve had enough of the Devil running their country.
That’s plenty upside to consider!
“Disease Burden of Influenza.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html.
Hagen, Carrie. “Economic impact of cold virus to be more expensive than asthma, heart failure.” The University Record Online. University of Michigan News Service. 10 March 2003. http://www.ur.umich.edu/0203/Mar10_03/15.shtml.
Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay
1 thought on “5 Ways COVID-19 Saves Us”
I like the post even though wordpress did not let me “like” it.