photo by OpenClipart-Vectors on pixabay
Discuss these situations with your son, role play, and have him practice saying the words to better handle these awkward or uncomfortable situations.
Just Chill: Navigating Social Norms and Expectations by M.K. Ehrman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This book is written for boys in middle school and up. It was easy-reading, interesting, and straightforward. Few photos, mostly graphic design.
Each chapter has the following format:
• Brief introduction to the topic
• A story of a boy influenced by advertising or peers
• Think About It questions sprinkled throughout
• Summary by a child and teen development specialist
• Work It Out steps the reader can act on, e.g., Make a list or Seek advice
• Blurb by the author
Topics covered include:
• Spending money to impress or gain friends
• Doing dangerous things for kicks (the choking game)
• Pursuing activities you like instead of worrying they’re not boy-enough, like baking
This book can be used two ways: guidance for boys facing these issues and as a heads-up to parents about what kids are facing, most life-threatening being the choking game.
View all my reviews