This is a really good father-son story with a sci-fi setting starring Will and Jaden Smith. The military father is away from home a lot. His job is literally a fearless monster-slayer. However, his stoicism and disciplinarian nature makes him emotionally unavailable to his son who craves his attention, love, and respect.
- What kind of man is the father?
- What kind of father is the man?
- Did the father and son have a communication problem or did they speak different Love Languages (expressing their love in different ways according to author Gary Chapman)?
- How did the mother’s and father’s parenting styles differ?
- What did the son gain from each?
- What do you think of the father-son relationship portrayed in this movie?
- What do you think of manhood as portrayed in this movie?
The acting, story, and special effects are all first-rate. Will Smith has come a long way. Jaden Smith continues to show his considerable acting chops with (The Pursuit of Happyness, 2006) and without (Karate Kid, 2010) his father.